Wicd is an open source wired and wireless network manager for Linux
which aims to provide a simple interface to connect to networks with a
wide variety of settings.
Some of Wicd’s features include:
- No Gnome dependencies (although it does require GTK), so it is easy to use in XFCE, Fluxbox, Openbox, Enlightenment, etc.
- Ability to connect to wired and wireless networks
- Profiles for each wireless network and wired network
- Many encryption schemes, some of which include WEP/WPA/WPA2 (and you can add your own)
- Remains compatible with wireless-tools
- Tray icon showing network activity and signal strength